[rescue] RE: SGI vs. Sun

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 13:28:00 CST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:43:41 -0500, Jones, Andrew I wrote:
> Yeah, but for every Origin, there was an Indigo 2.  Doesn't anyone
> remember the dog systems?

I remember the I2, but it certainly wasn't a dog. The I2 with the R10K
processor was a bit crippled, but it was still considerably faster than
an I2 with an R4400 (I've got both).

> The I2's can't even saturate a 100 mbit ethernet connection, leaving
> their monstrous processors spinning their wheels.

The only 100mps ethernet option for the I2 was an EISA card, and a
rebadged 3com card at that. Not exactly a perfect choice. Now if you
went to FDDI, you could get a GIO64 card. FDDI may be pretty rare these
days, but at the time of the I2 you would be more likely to get FDDI to
a mid-range workstation than 100BaseTX.