[rescue] RE: SGI vs. Sun

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jan 13 12:52:06 CST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:26:49PM -0500, Kevin wrote:
> I've never had or used an I2 (one day i'll rectify that), so i
> have no first hand experience, but why are the R10 I2s
> "crippled"?  Bus issues?

The memory system wasn't capable a keeping up with both graphics and the
R10k.  Impact graphics just made things worse.

An Octane with a 195mhz processor and SI+TRAM will beat the pants off of
any I2 even though it is exactly the same CPU and mostly the same
graphics.

Still, I find it hard to believe that SS20s could be considered equal
capabilities to an I2.  The U1s and U2s certainly seemed to catch up
with a vengence though.

The U1s and U2s are absolutely amazing machines.  I wouldn't trade my
Octane for them, but they still are very intoxicating.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/