[rescue] RFA: firewall

Barry Keeney barryk at chaoscon.com
Thu Jan 6 14:24:50 CST 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> I humbly request advice, opinions, whatever, from the Collective.  :)
>
> The hardware: Ultra5, USIIi/333, 256M, 9.1G, three 10/100 interfaces
> (the built-in hme plus a dual EEPro100), didn't really pay attention to
> what framebuffer and can't say I particularly care.
>
> The application: firewall between wired internal net, wireless DMZ, and
> DSL to the 'net.  Right now there'll only be one machine on the wired
> net and one on wireless, both running Win2K Pro, but real boxen running
> real OSen will be shipped out here later.

  Is this for home use, home office, small company?

  Either way I'd look really hard at OpenBSD, And I a bigtime
Sun fan! (Does OpenBSD have a floppy/CD boot read only distro?)

  As another option, put together a low end pc and use one of
the Linux boot from floppy/CD firewalls. The hardware is easier
to find/replace if somethings fails and it's harder to hack
write protected media :^) Reboots wipe out any backdoors/hacks
needed to gain access. Use the Sun as the loghost and watch
it for entries from the firewall rebooting/hacking attempts.

Barry Keeney
Chaos Consulting
email barryk at chaoscon.com

"Rap is Square Dancing gone terribly, terribly Wrong...."