[rescue] Seeking thinkpad 240C..

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 14:58:36 CST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:32:03 -0500, William Enestvedt wrote:
>    Sure it does: but where do I plug that in on the 480, which only
>    has an RJ-45?

Ooops! I hadn't realised that you wanted to connect them together. After
a day full of IBMisms (work's new P5-550 is being installed) I'm even
dumber than normal.

>    Actually, I do believe that I tried that rom my PowerBook with
>    ZTerm but got no joy. But perhaps I failed to do so. *blush*

As someone who always has problems with serial stuff (I'm sure it
doesn't like me), I've encountered that for even simpler connections.
However, the dothill stuff does seem to be deliberately designed to be
awkward. It's 32kbaud, and you need to press ^L to get a response ... ^M
just gets silently eaten.

> Anyway, the point remains that the manufacturer ships the array
> with a cable and an adapter, but one that's of no use to their

True, but we'd probably all be surprised by just how many of these boxes
are initially configured by Sun ... various Sun engineers have implied
that we're kind of weird installing this stuff ourselves.

> > Work uses a private VLAN for those...
>    I wish! And then I could push my backups over it, too, and...
>    *sigh*

There's always a private R(eal)LAN using any old 10BaseT hub you've got
spare. Might not do backups though :)