iBooks/Tibooks/PowerBooks (Was: Re: [rescue] Seeking thinkpad 240C..)

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Wed Jan 5 10:45:20 CST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Ethan O'Toole wrote:

> >> I've been using this almost every day for the past month, and at
> >> least once a week (when on trips) before that.  It hasn't failed me
> >> yet.
>
> I have a large number of friends now with iBooks and Powerbooks and
> TiBooks. The few that have had problems, the problems were severe. The
> most badly burned was the person who paid $3k for a tibook. He got all
> the warranties, it didn't help much.

I'm on my second TiBook for work. It's one generation behind the most
current ones. I do have a couple complaints about both of them though. I'm
right handed & tend to carry the laptop with just that hand. The casing on
both have split right above the CD/DVD drive. The casing also seperated
from the body on the corner near the battery on both. (Super glue took
care of that problem...) Lastly, I find the screen sits too close to the
keyboard and leaves nice marks from the edges of the keys that you can't
get off if you don't keep up on wiping them or put in a thin sheet of some
type between the keyboard and the screen (I think some were shipped with
one).

The latest generation of TiBooks seem to address all my problems though.
Even with the problems, I still can't imagine another laptop I'd like to
have more. I have no desire to start a flame war, but I run Debian on the
laptop & love it.

-Mark

--
Mark T. Valites