[rescue] Favorite Keyboards (audio recording!)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Jan 2 17:55:16 CST 2005

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Ethan O'Toole wrote:

> Hah! When I was in High School someone gave me a Turbo Pascal 6 book
> (while I was taking a class that involved Turbo Pascal). I brought the
> book to school, and everyone took turns reading the chapters on all of the
> window functions. Before long everyones code had all sorts of Window
> tricks, the instructor pretty much snapped because he couldn't read any of
> it. Simple programs that should be a page and a half were 7 pages due to
> all of the display functions. Those were the days.

BTDT.  I miss those days.  I made a TurboVision wrapper for a generic
question/answer application (like most entry-level programming projects
are).  So, I merely had to copy the code, fill in one function to add
the problem's functionality, and, viola!  7 pages of TurboVision, one
function of actual work, and a flashy result.

The teacher had me kicked out of that class by the end of the first
semester for being a smart ass.  I hadn't -actually- done anything
wrong, so we came to the agreement that I'd have the second semester of
the class off (it was the last class of the day, so I got to leave high
school early--tell me THAT didn't kick ass), but I'd have to take the
second semester's final cold.  In exchange, the teacher didn't have to
grade my work, and gave me whatever I got on the second semester's final
as my average for each grading period.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "I've built my whole system with [-fomit-frame-pointer]
Elgin, TX        (  cause it was recommended...as I don't care if a program