[rescue] Solaris 10 puzzle

Espen Randen rescue at lpl.nu
Tue Feb 22 11:07:01 CST 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:42:12PM -0800, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:42:12 -0800
> From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
> To: geeks at sunhelp.net, The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: [rescue] Solaris 10 puzzle
>
> Ok, folks, here's a puzzle for the best brains.
>
> I have a new Solaris 10 install on my U2.  The following processes are,
> at this moment in time, running:

snip ps and crontab listing.

> Nevertheless, SOMETHING on this system is repeatedly resetting the
> system's hostname to '-s' at intervals of a few minutes, and I can't
> figure out what it is.  I've even tried grepping the entire system for
> stray 'uname -S' calls.  No joy.  I'm fresh out of ideas.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

I've noticed that hostname from the GNU coreutils package will treat a
'hostname -s' as set the hostname to '-s'.

And after checking both /bin/hostname in Solaris 9 4/04 and Solaris 10 3/05
for SPARC '/bin/hostname -s' will also set the hostname to '-s'.

Check for stray 'hostname -s' calls as well.

> I'm beginning to really acutely dislike Solaris 10.

That makes two of us.
I had high hopes for Solaris 10, but so far I'm not very impressed.
Okay, DTrace and zones is really cool, but the fact that Solaris 10 has
bloated
to having problems fitting on a 9GB drive and dependency-hell that would make
RedHat Linux look like a minimal install of NetBSD makes me reluctant to
install
Solaris 10 on any more machines at home or at work.

--
"YOU, with the C++ compiler and no knowledge of how computers work!
Back away from the keyboard with your hands up, NOW!"