[rescue] Solaris 10 puzzle

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Mon Feb 21 18:58:22 CST 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 04:00:04PM -0800, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> At this point, I've wasted more than enough time dicking around with
> Solaris 10.  I'm filing the 3/05 GA release under "Not ready for prime
> time."  I'll just put 9 on the machine instead.  9 works.

It's up to you, but this is a perfect time to use DTrace.

bash-2.05b# more dtrace-syscalls.d
syscall:::entry
{
   @func[execname,probefunc] = count();
}
tick-10s { exit(0);}

Will give you 10 seconds of data showing what program is calling what
syscall.  I am pretty sure sethostname or something like that is a
syscall.

Save to a file, and run with "dtrace -s dtrace-syscalls.d" .  Then
wait 10 seconds (which should be enough time for the hostname change
to occur.

Let me know if that helps.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo