[rescue] New to me IPX

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Feb 18 23:16:20 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 20:23 -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez
wrote:
>On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 23:15 +0200, Michael-John Turner wrote:
>> >Debian seems to
>> >be the best supported of the Linux distros that still support 32-bit
>> >sparcs.
>>
>> It's worth noting that recent Debian builds are optimized for sparcv8,
>> and won't support older sparc32 machines (sun4c).
>
>I assume you meant SPARCV9, right? As far as I know only the lyon
>implements the V8...

No, I meant sparcv8. :)

sun4c machines are sparcv7. sun4m (and leon) machines are considered
sparcv8 (but sparcv7 compliant), and sun4u machines are sparcv9 (but
sparcv8 and sparcv7 compliant).

Really, its a bit more complicated than that, but it does mean that
current Debian won't run on the IPX.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Sales Engineer || Aurora Linux Project Leader

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
-- Sir Winston Churchill