[rescue] New to me IPX

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Thu Feb 17 14:04:33 CST 2005

On Feb 17, 2005, at 1:43 PM, Michael-John Turner wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 01:12:58PM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>> On Thursday 17 February 2005 13:10, Chad Fernandez wrote:
>>> Just a little.  I'd like to at least up the ram to 64megs on the MB,
>>> and I'll have to buy an OS.  I wouldn't mind swapping a larger HD in
>>> place of the small <500 meg drive.  None, of those thing should cost
>>> too much.
>>
>> There's always NetBSD...
>
> I second the vote for NetBSD :) I run 1.6 and 2.0 on a number of slower
> 32-bit sparcs and they all run very well. If you're more interested in
> Solaris, the IPX (being a sun4c) will run Solaris up until (and
> including) Solaris 7.

I would also suggest NetBSD as well.  NetBSD has always run well for me
on sun4c units.  OpenBSD as well - I'm currently using a SS2 as my
firewall.

If you go with Solaris then go with 7.  It has quite a number of extras
and is a little easier to deal with that 2.6 or below.

Mike Hebel
----
"The very young do not often do what they are told." - The Nox