[rescue] Enterpise E4K questions...

Gutschner, Marc marc.gutschner at itandfactory.com
Thu Feb 17 03:28:18 CST 2005

[... Phil and Chris pointing out architectural details ...]
> The US-II Enterprise machines are architecturally more like the
> sun4d/XDbus machines - you don't have the memory locality issues that the
> newer SunFires have, so there's a constant latency between any CPU and any
> memory bank, regardless of their physical configuration.

Ok, so this brings up another question. I remember some short discussion
a few weeks (or months?) ago about the mid-range Enterprise systems. IIRC
it was about different CPU speeds in one system. So, can I add - for example
-
boards with 336MHz CPUs to the system without "frying" the existing 250MHz
ones? I know that the 400MHz boards are a completely different beast and that
I need a different clock board to use them in an E4k...

> However, you *do* want to populate the memory banks in the
> sequence Sun recommends in order to get the best interleaving possible.

The machine currently has the 1GB stretched across all 4 banks, so this
gives me the maximum interleave for this configuration, I guess...

> Generally you fill up the CPU slot 0's first, and the memory bank 0's
> first, but the rules are laid out in the Ultra Enterprise Systems Manual:

What I'm still wondering is: Do I have to populate the DIMM slots
symmetrically? From the documentation I get the impression that the only
constraint is that each Bank 0 has to be populated with some memory. Is this
correct? And must all Bank 0 have to have the same density?

Lots of questions... ;-)

regards,
Marc