[rescue] New to me IPX

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 16 18:34:55 CST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chad Fernandez" <fernande at internet1.net>
To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:09 PM
Subject: Re: [rescue] New to me IPX

> Mike Nicewonger wrote:
>>> AND you can put a weitek power-up cpu chip and double the cpu speed
>>> from 40-->80mhz
>
> I found out that the Pentium 75 comparison, assumed the Weitek Power-up
> CPU installed, but even then it's supposed to more like a hot 486, not a
> low end Pentium.  Oh well, the original Weitek is still about like a 486
> class cpu, so I don't mind to much, that it's slower than I originally
> thought.

The low-end Pentium is as fast as a hot 486 - the performance of  P75 <> 100
MHz 486, IIRC.

>> And don't forget you can run her up to 128 MB with the Sbus memory
>> expansion boards too.
>
> I've got 48 megs on the motherboard.  Quite a few of the machines in the
> pile were labeled 32 megs, but I happened to find one labeled 48 megs.
> Once I get an OS installed, and play around with it a bit, I'll start
> thinking about upgrades.
>
> How common are those Sbus memory boards?

Unfortunately, slightly more common than the jumper cable they require - but
IIRC it is a trivial thing to make your own cable... (just a power jumper,
IIRC).

Are you thinking of putting *money* into your IPX?