[rescue] New to me IPX

ssandau at gwi.net ssandau at gwi.net
Wed Feb 16 16:29:50 CST 2005

Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:41:49PM -0500, Steve Sandau wrote:
> > >The IPX was my first Sun boxen. It holds a warm place in my soul.
> > >

> > I still use an IPX from Mike. It holds a warm place in my basement. ;-)
> >
> > As someone said here a while back: "That's why they call them Suns; they
> > warm your house!"
>
> Not as much as PCs or SGIs do though.
>
> The air coming out of my U30 is far cooler than the air out of the
> Octane or P2 machine.
>
> The SS20 is kinda warm though, and its 411 is downright hot (maybe
> because of the 15150N drive?).

Could be a couple of different reasons. Here's my experience:

I have a dual CPU/dual HDD SS20 that throws quite a bit of heat. I never
set a cold beer on the right side of my U2 since it'll get warm quite
fast. Running the SS1000 in our server room means the AC can no longer
maintain a decently cool temp.

Steve