[rescue] Extending a 3/60

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Feb 15 22:10:57 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 22:40, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 15, 2005, at 10:37  PM, Steve Sandau wrote:
>
> > silvercreekvalley wrote:
> >> Hi. Hoping to increase the RAM in a recently rescued
> >> 3/60 which is now working great.
> >> Does anyone have any 1M 30 pin SIMMS for sale/trade? I
> >> can fit up to 24 apparantly (currently got 8).
> >
> > I think I have a goodly number of these available for COS. Here at
> > home I have seven nine-chip SIMMS and nine 3-chip ones. Probably have
> > more at work.
>
> Do any of those old boxes take 16MB 30 pin SIMMs?

Nothing in the Sun-3 line.

Plus, it could be dangerous...

When I worked at Sun, a fellow engineer and I tried to put
16MB 30 pin simms intended for use in a 4/690 into a Sparc 2...
well... that was the end of that motherboard (which was
probably a good thing, as if the simms had died, they probably
cost more than a sparc 2 motherboard at the time).

No magic smoke or flame... just didn't do anything... once
we put the original memory back in... STILL didn't do
anything.

Not sure why the mainboard died due to the memory... but
I never tried putting 16MB 30 pin simms in anything not
rated for them after that... :-)

-- Curt