[rescue] New to me IPX

Chad Fernandez fernande at internet1.net
Tue Feb 15 20:55:58 CST 2005

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

>> If I do a printenv the boot-file value is blank, do I need to specify
>> a boot file?
>

> I'm pretty sure it defaults to /unix or /vmunix if it's blank.

If I do a printenv, the default colum also is blank.

> OpenBoot is a fairly complete Forth programming environment.  For just
> hacking around with the Forth part of it, any ANS Forth reference will
> do.  For using it in the context of a boot monitor, here's the Sun
> documentation:
>
>   http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/216.1?q=openboot

Thank You, I'll take a look at that.

> Unless you feel like setting up a net-boot server, you'll probably want
> to find a Sun-compatible SCSI CD drive (pretty much any of them with a
> blocksize of 512byes or a jumper that can select between 2048 and 512)
> in an external box and boot from the CD drive.

I already connected my external cd-rom and did a probe-scsi.  It did see
it.... does that mean I'm in the clear, or will it see one that doesn't
do bytes per block?  It's a Sony something.... but I have a Plex that'll
probably work if the Sony doesn't.  So I think I'm set in that area.

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA