[rescue] New to me IPX

Chad Fernandez fernande at internet1.net
Tue Feb 15 17:27:31 CST 2005

Hello All,

I got my first Sun a few days ago.  It's an IPX, that won't boot from
it's internal HD.  I've already fixed the NVRAM problem with a new
battery (I'm so proud of myself :-).  I don't know what to do now, though.

Here's the log file from my terminal program:

---------------------------------
reset
Type b (boot), c (continue), or n (new command mode)
Type  help  for more information
ok reset

WARNING: Unable to determine keyboard type
SPARCstation IPX, No Keyboard
ROM Rev. 2.9, 48 MB memory installed, Serial #132720.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:2:6:70, Host ID: 57020670.

Testing    1 megs of memory /-

Initializing Memory |/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\
Initializing Memory |/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\
Boot device: /sbus/esp at 0,800000/sd at 3,0   File and args:
The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.
Type b (boot), c (continue), or n (new command mode)

----------------------------------

Does this necessarily mean that the HD was wiped during decommissioning?
  How likely would the machine have been set up to net boot?  If I do a
printenv the boot-file value is blank, do I need to specify a boot file?
    Most of my experience is with DOS and Windows, but I'm trying to
change that.

Does an online resource exist that would tell me about the various
values and functions in Openboot?  I've been poking around in it, but I
get the feeling like I'm only seeing part of it.

Thanks,

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA