[rescue] solaris on powerpc install problem

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Tue Feb 15 14:33:06 CST 2005

Hi,

I am trying to install Solaris 2.5.1/PPC on a Motorola PowerStack but it
will not work. Does anybody have a hint to get me going?

It's a PowerPC PowerStack @133MHz with built-in SCSI CD-ROM. Here's a
picture:
http://www.belgers.com/computers/motorola_powerstack.jpg

The CD-ROM is working correctly (I have installed AIX 4.1.4 using a CD).
I am now trying to boot Solaris 2.5.1/PPC but this is happening:

PPC1-Diag>pboot 0 60
Booting from: NCR53C825, Controller 0, Drive 60
Device Name : /pci at 80000000/pci1000,3 at c,0/cdrom at 6,0

Bootable Partition Table Entry Not Found
PPC1-Diag>

The CD was burnt from an image file. If I make an image of the CD again
and run 'file' on it, I get this:
solaris251-ppc.iso: x86 boot sector, extended partition table
This seems okay, the AIX CD is of type "x86 boot sector".

I cannot find anything helpful on the web. Does anybody have more
experience installing Solaris/PPC?

Regards,
Walter.
--