[rescue] Solaris 10 on 'unsupported' 64-bit systems?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Feb 14 15:04:29 CST 2005

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 @ 15:05 -0500, Joshua Boyd said:

> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 02:05:05PM -0600, Wes Will wrote:
>
> > it trundles right along.  Never noticed any problems with slow loading
> > pages or anything.  What else is your G5 doing while you browse?  Rendering
> > humongous JPEG's or something?
>
> He doesn't need to render humongous JPEGs in the background, since
> that's what firefox does.

Firefox (and most releases of Mozilla) also leaks memory like crazy.

At work I regularly ran Firefox up to 300MB before having to restart it.

I've run traces on it and memory profiles, and the culprit seems to be
shared memory segments it never frees up.

It also seems to never throw away things you viewed ages ago.

I don't think it pays much attention to the memory settings you can set
in about:config either.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We have nothing to prove" -- Alan Dawkins]