[rescue] OpenWindows 1.0 anyone...?

Per Sandstrom psand at mac.com
Wed Feb 9 14:46:14 CST 2005

More mumblings on old software...

>Just curious, what kind of app was SunView and how functional was
>SunWrite/SunDraw compared to other apps of it's day?

SunView was the second generation of SunWindows, the original kernel
based windowing system for Sun workstations. SunWindows was written
by Steve Evans and introduced in SunOS 1.0 back in 1983 (way before the
X Window System). The last SunView release is dated 1990 (SunOS 4.1).

The majority of SunView programs were simple "tools", even though there
was complicated applications like FrameMaker available as well. The toolkit
mutated into XView and survived in OpenWindows until the mid-90s.

For a SunView screen shot, see http://www.algonet.se/~psand/sunview.png .

The SunWrite/SunPaint/SunDraw apps were something Sun sold briefly in
the late 1980s, while they flirted with the mass market (the SPARCstation
1 was, believe it or not, intended as a PC-killer :-). I think these apps were
procured from Island Graphics. No idea what the were like.

Per