[rescue] FS: Soekris NET4801

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 20:03:19 CST 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:06:00 +1100, Sean Batt <sean at coombs.anu.edu.au> wrote:

> I've bought stuff from Corpsys before, what a friendly and
> helpful bunch! A real pleasure to deal with.

Everyone I know who has mentioned dealing with them
has been pleased.  They even replied to my email queries
when I was asking if those trays could be added to a Net
App head.

> Those Eurologic enclosures are very, very, very loud. Think
> twin-overhead vacuum cleaners. I have tried to quiet them
> down but the 10k rpm seagates (often with NetApp firmware)
> then get too hot.

They are the same as the NetApp trays on the F7xx series,
which I worked with a while back--def. want to be wearing
your hearing protection around them.

> If you do find a way to get big, cheap FCAL discs, you
> should probably patent it :-) No, no, only joking.

:-)  Hopefully no rescuers will keep such a gold mine secret.

> Even so, the best price would probably horrify you as thats
> what it did to me. Needless to say, we didn't go ahead.

Sounds like the SCSI->IDE or SATA bridge is going to be the
way to go.  The FC and SCSI prices are just too high given
how much data is collecting on desktop machines. Maybe even
just software RAID the IDE directly--more IDE controllers to ease
the performance hit--and invest the cash in a smal tape library?

Disk size is certainly outstripping "reasonably" priced backup
systems.  I mean, ~$900 for a single LTO drive that backups
up 200/400GB.  Super DLT is running around 1/3 that for drive,
but it's a lot closer to being "dead" technology (not necessarily
a problem for the folks onthe list, I know).

=Nadine=