[rescue] huge DEC rescue in TX?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Feb 1 14:42:41 CST 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Rox wrote:

>> As much as I love the RS/6000s and pSeries systems I use at work,
>> I doubt any of them will be running in 20-something years...
>
> Are those current/recent RS/6000s ?

Sure are.

> the old ones in my collection still have that good old-fashioned
> engineered-to-last look and feel to them, and they're already past
> halfway to the 20 years.

Well, these machines are certainly heavy enough and well-designed enough
to last a long time, but part of the cost of miniaturization is
fragility.  I doubt that compression connectors and all these fancy heat-
extraction gadgets will hold up as well as pin-and-socket arrays that
you can just reseat.

I hope I'm wrong, though.  Modern IBM equipment (well, all IBM equipment
that isn't on the bottom end of things) is amazing stuff.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "I've built my whole system with [-fomit-frame-pointer]
Elgin, TX        (  cause it was recommended...as I don't care if a program