[rescue] Operating system for a 3gx sparcbook

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Aug 31 12:45:06 CDT 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:21:29 +0300
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:

> I'd like to get my Tadpole 3GX sparcbook working again. It works
> and has a 1.2 gig hard drive and 64m of RAM. It currently runs Solaris
> 2.6 with the Tadpole patches.
>
> Can anyone suggest an operating system for it? 2.6 is a bit "long in
> tooth", and it's too slow and short on disk space to compile anything
> so I would prefer something that comes in object code form.
>
> If there was a way to put a wifi card in it I'd really love it. I have
> both CARDBUS (3.3v 32bit) and PCMCIA (5 volt 16bit) cards.
Sounds like you want to install NetBSD/sparc. I recomend 3.0_BETA, as
this contains lots of new stuff in the sparc area.
ftp://ftp.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-3/200508120000Z/sparc/
Or even a -current snapshot:
ftp://ftp.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/200508240000Z/sparc/
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen