[rescue] Good drive recovery place than handles FFS?

Nate nate at portents.com
Mon Aug 29 09:43:55 CDT 2005

Hi folks,

I have a friend who made the mistake of transplanting two SCSI drives
from a flakey SS20 (where he had two of those little drive cooling
fans blowing on the drives, at my suggestion) to a working SS20 with
no little drive cooling fans, and in a week the 18GB drive failed -
all it does is make clicking sounds now while telling the computer it
has bad geometry or somesuch.  He has no backup (and I had been
bugging him about that too). The 'freezer trick' for recovery did not
work, so he's looking into professional drive recovery places, but
since he was running NetBSD on it and hence FFS, the two places he's
talked to haven't instilled him with confidence in their ability to
recover the contents.  Does anyone have any experience with
professional drive recovery places, specifically with someplace
that's recovered data from a drive that is FFS formatted?

- Nate