[rescue] Hardware fingerprinting on Ultra 5/10?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 27 07:48:08 CDT 2005

>From: Steve Pacenka <s.pacenka at verizon.net>
>Date: Fri Aug 26 14:50:18 CDT 2005
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Hardware fingerprinting on Ultra 5/10?

>Returning to an earlier topic, some people were imagining putting
>several hard drives into a U5.  I would worry about peak power
>consumption at initial spin-up and about airflow around the drives.  A
>U10 would be a better choice when more than one hard drive will be used.

Second hard drive options were available from Sun for the Ultra 5, so if you mimic that option (place the drive in the same location - in place of the PCMCIA adapter?) you should be fine. I have to assume the PS can handle the load of two drives (since the upgrade didn't include a new PS, AFAIK)...

Ultra 10s are nicer than Ultra 5s for increased drive capacity and UPA framebuffer support.