[rescue] Hardware fingerprinting on Ultra 5/10?

Michael Horton Michael.Horton at acntv.com
Fri Aug 26 11:37:29 CDT 2005

we have used seagate and western digital 20GB, 40GB, 80GB, 120GB in
ultra 5/10 with no issues (except what to do with all that space afer
using 4GB/9GB for all those years).

none of these hard drives were sun-labelled.

we have used all sorts of cdroms (name brands: sony, hp, plextor, acer,
philips, etc. and no-name brands), several cd/rw drives, and various dvd
drives.

none of these optical drives were sun-labelled.

the 160GB hard drive will face the 127/8GB limit but should format to
that size and work well.

jjhartley at att.net wrote:
> Thanks again for the continuing dialogue.  FWIW, I successfully installed
1GB RAM into a 360MHz Ultra 5 yesterday and flashed the PROM from version 3.19
up to 3.31.

> Given yesterday's discussion (and having a 160GB IDE drive lying about...),
I'd like replace the 9GB factory drive with this larger one.  What do I need
to do to get it configured correctly?  I've heard that Sun fingerprints
hardware, so do I need to do anything in particular after installing this
160GB drive (and a CD-R drive to replace the CD-ROM drive...) in order to boot
from the larger drive?  Ultimately I want to put OpenBSD on this box and am
unclear on how much information is fundamentally needed by OpenBoot and how
much was simply needed by Solaris.