[rescue] replacing Ultra 5/10 IDE drives?

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Thu Aug 25 12:17:08 CDT 2005

> However, I have another question about replacing the current drives found in Ultra 5's/10's.  The IDE standard & drives available today has morphed beyond what the IDE controller on these boxes can handle, but what if I did exactly this?  Could the existing controller take advantage of a portion of these newer larger disks?  Can anyone tell me the size of the largest drive that the 5/10 can handle?

I am using a 120G IDE drive as the boot disk in my U5. The onboard
CMD646 IDE driver does not support LBA4 addressing and so the
addressable size of HDD is limited to 128 GiB/137 decimal GB.

If you use an additional IDE controller (*) with no such limit, there's
nothing wrong with using larger IDE drives.

(*) If I would put an additional disk controller in my U5, it would be a
SCSI controller or a SATA controller for modern large disks.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)