[rescue] replacing Ultra 5/10 IDE drives?

jjhartley at att.net jjhartley at att.net
Thu Aug 25 11:31:19 CDT 2005

I previous posted asking about booting from devices attached to Promise IDE cards.  I sincerely appreciate the responses received.

However, I have another question about replacing the current drives found in Ultra 5's/10's.  The IDE standard & drives available today has morphed beyond what the IDE controller on these boxes can handle, but what if I did exactly this?  Could the existing controller take advantage of a portion of these newer larger disks?  Can anyone tell me the size of the largest drive that the 5/10 can handle?

I'm not clear as to what is involved with Sun's fingerprinting process, hence, I'm asking some of these questions.  I appreciate any candor passed on.

Jim