[rescue] e420r and solaris questions

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 09:11:48 CDT 2005

On 8/22/05, Bryan Gurney <arb_npx42 at comcast.net> wrote:
> probably not; the X86 version of Solaris 10 is a bit short on device
> drivers, especially NIC and sound drivers from what I hear.

I'd like to see SCI drivers migrate from Sparc to x86. Beside that
tough, most of the NIC work out of the box under x86, and sound, well,
there are a lot more sound cards supported in x86, definitely. There
are also some available from non official sources like:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/

http://www.tools.de/solaris/

BTW, that last link has a Sound Blaster driver for sparc:

http://www.tools.de/solaris/sbpci/

Dont expect live drive support and the like, but at least it gives you
an option on a Sun workstation that has PCI...

Francois