[rescue] Head for a SparcStation 2

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Aug 16 22:54:56 CDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 10:29:02PM -0400, John Lee wrote:
> On 8/16/05, Bryan Gurney <arb_npx42 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > First off, all the Sun 13W3 framebuffers output composite sync, and also,
> > the default mode for them is a goofy one: 1152x900 at 66 Hz.
>
> Boo. :-( The LCD is separate sync only. It does support 1152x867 at 60Hz,
> though. Prospects don't look good. I do have a 21" CRT here that will
> work, though. Or, maybe I could just get some cheap Sony Trinitron
> someone is replacing. They seem to be everywhere.

1152x867 is going to be nasty on most LCDs.

On the other hand, I'm surprised that you can't get a TGX+ to support
1280x1024 (though a TGX not + won't according to the FAQ on Sunhelp).
Also, I'm a bit surprised that the LCD won't support both composite and
severate sync.

Actually for that matter, I couldn't swear about all graphics adapters,
but at least some Sun 13w3 connectors put out v-sync on pin 10 and h/c
sync on 5.  It is my understanding that most monitors that want seperate
h/v sync will just ignore the extra part of the c-sync signal, getting
just the h sync part.

It seems to me that for the cost of a 13w3 adapter and TGX+, you might
as well just try it out.  If it doesn't work, you can always try
tracking down a CRT later.

> 1.) Have a computer that doesn't tempt me to stray from the task of
> writing (I'm a grad student, this is a really important task!) and
> 2.) Be kinda fun, interesting, and cool in a geeky way, as well as
> surprising visitors and other passers-by.

Personally I'd go for a B&W or low color depth grey scale graphical
display, running X.  That will get you xdvi previews, plus looks very
cool, and you can still use VIM.  But, whatever makes you happy.

> speed of ssh, but it seemed to be fine once the connection was
> negotiated. I am impressed with the staying power of this machine.

Jumping up to a SPARC V8 would make SSH far better, and I bet a SS10
wouldn't cost you much at all, if you did need to switch.

> Aren't the Type 6 keyboards USB? Also, can any non-USB Sun keyboard be
> used with the SS2? This is something I've never been entirely clear
> on, and I haven't found any docco on it either.

I think someone else already answered this, but I have a Sun style
(non-USB) type 6 here.  I personally prefer the Type 5s, but again,
whatever makes you happier.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net