[rescue] Head for a SparcStation 2

John Lee j.benlin.lee at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 21:29:02 CDT 2005

On 8/16/05, Bryan Gurney <arb_npx42 at comcast.net> wrote:
> First off, all the Sun 13W3 framebuffers output composite sync, and also,
> the default mode for them is a goofy one: 1152x900 at 66 Hz.

Boo. :-( The LCD is separate sync only. It does support 1152x867 at 60Hz,
though. Prospects don't look good. I do have a 21" CRT here that will
work, though. Or, maybe I could just get some cheap Sony Trinitron
someone is replacing. They seem to be everywhere.

> Secondly, a SS2 is a bit weak IMO, but then this is what I have:
>
> SS5, 110 MHz, 256 MB RAM
> Ultra 1, 143 MHz, 160 MB RAM
> Ultra 2, 2 x 300 MHz, 640 MB RAM
> Ultra 5, 440 MHz, 1024 MB RAM

Yeah, like I said, I just want to use screen, ssh, and vim. I have my
Powerbook and a gaggle of other modern machines at my disposal for
running compute intensive stuff. The purpose of this little "project"
is to:

1.) Have a computer that doesn't tempt me to stray from the task of
writing (I'm a grad student, this is a really important task!) and
2.) Be kinda fun, interesting, and cool in a geeky way, as well as
surprising visitors and other passers-by.

This SS2 used to be used as a light web and file server, so I am
familiar with its lack of oomph. Yeah, it's slow, but it's not so slow
that I have to wait for it. In other words, the speed at which I
generate words in my head is slow enough that a faster computer is not
going to help me that much. :-P I guess the one problem might be the
speed of ssh, but it seemed to be fine once the connection was
negotiated. I am impressed with the staying power of this machine.

> I also
> have a spare Type 6 keyboard and mouse pair that I don't use, since I have
> a Type 5 keyboard and optical mouse with grid mousepad.

Aren't the Type 6 keyboards USB? Also, can any non-USB Sun keyboard be
used with the SS2? This is something I've never been entirely clear
on, and I haven't found any docco on it either.

Thanks,
John