[rescue] SGI ST19171FC disks in a Sun Enterprise Network Array?

Daniel Leeds cosmos at hepcat.org
Thu Aug 4 12:03:24 CDT 2005

what model/make of sgi array?  if its one of the rebadged clariion/emc
models it's using that 520 byte sector size.  im rusty but i believe
the basic sun arrays use the standard 512.  this is usually one of the
first gotchas.  ive always reformatted them with something like the
adaptec utilities by slapping an adaptec card and drives into a pc.
sgis low level formatting utils (fx) dont work too well and the pc
formatting was always easy.

this is how i go the other way as well.  replacing my clariion drives
and even my netapp drives by buying cheap stock drives off ebay and
reformatting them to the 520 size both those vendors expect.

hope this helps