[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 15:03:00 CDT 2005

On 4/28/05, Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:
> I almost never do this type of stuff.  It just reinforces bad behavior and
> does not encourage them to pay any attention to you.  I would tell him to
> think about how he could have avoided this issue while he is doing it all
> over again next semester.
>
> I'm not picking on anyone here, but i think as a whole, IT/MIS people
> coddle users much too much.

I don't disagree with that, necessarily.  I'd say, yes, some
users are coddled too much.  Wes's situation sounds like
it bites big time.  But the reality of it is, without users, we're
all out of jobs.

In the computer lab in college, I didn't have a lot of leeway.
In my business situations, I try to take into account the end
user.  Clearly I am going to expect more of an engineer than
an HR generalist.  Our tactic at the internal help desk back
in the day was to start cc'ing a user's manager, as well as
our own, when people proved over and again that they were
too stupid to be given a $12K SS20.  Nothing like looking an
idiot in front of their boss to at least stop them from opening
the cases (even if they still had the problem).

=Nadine=