[rescue] Apple G3/G4 panel latch question

Atom rescue at port11.net
Wed Apr 27 20:50:06 CDT 2005

On Apr 27, 2005, at 9:09 PM, Mike Hebel wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2005, at 5:28 PM, Atom wrote:
>

>> On Apr 27, 2005, at 6:06 PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>>

>>> Anyone know if the 'panel latch' (the latching plate that mounts
>>> underneath the mainboard and firmly latches the side of the
>>> computer closed) is the same on a G3 B&W as on a G4 AGP Gigabit ?
>>>
>>> I have a G4 and that plate has broken plastic...
>>>
>>> There are different part #s in the Apple service docs, but the
>>> pics of it look the same...
>>>
>>> Anyone know ???
>>>

>> The G4 I rescued is probably beyond repair. Turns out the smoky
>> smell is coming from near the G4 processor on the mainboard and
>> not the power supply. So I do have a now worthless G4 case.
>>

> No.  What you have is an opportunity to buy a replacement
> motherboard and CPU.  Not too expensive and easily found.

Well in 2 weeks I am getting a few G4's desktops and some iMacs for
free. Working this time and hopefully not bastardized (hence
everything loose ripped out)...

At least I got a nice, shiny 17" dell lcd for free out of the deal
too for helping them "depose" their old IT stuff. Turns out they are
all going to G5's now and getting rid of the old peecee and g3/g4's.

Xcluster here I come...

-- Thomas