[rescue] Prices... Amazing

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Apr 27 19:49:03 CDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Michael Dombrowski wrote:

> But anyway, serious workstations that can do a lot of stuff are
> ridiculously cheap now.

Probably because so many people and companies are in my position.  I
have lots of machines I'd love to have gone.  Ultra 2 systems, Indigo2
systems, a couple of Ultra 1s, a pair of DEC 7000s with external XMI
cages.  All very cool and very capable equipment, but the Ultra 2s
aren't faster than my Ultra 60s, the Ultra 1s aren't faster than my
E3000 and E4000, the Indigo2 systems aren't faster than my Octanes,
and the AS4100 just slaps the DEC 7000s silly.

To say nothing of the steadily-growing pile of older Macintoshes, old
RS/6000 parts, etc...

Eventually, you just get tired of tripping over the stuff (or are tired
of paying to house it, if you're a business) and scream "ENOUGH!  GET IT
GONE!  CHEAP!"

Hell, if I got rid of all the aforementioned spare kit (and the SGI
Challenge GR that $guy is going to pick up this summer), I could have
my garage both be a computer room -and- a place to park my car when the
hail kicks up.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "It's alright for someone to sleep past noon every
Elgin, TX         (   once in a while.  That's what it means to be a