[rescue] When is 100 less than 10?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Apr 26 13:31:39 CDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> The Challenge has a vfe board, which claims to do 100baseT.  I've enabled
> that, hooked it up, etc.  It works.  It works, but it sucks.

That's pretty much vfe to a T.  Even if you get duplex/speed matched on
both ends, it's still the slowest "fast" Ethernet on the planet.
Remember the 3c503 in the PC world?  Put that on a VME bus and scrawl in
another zero in the middle of "10baseT" using a red crayon, and that's
about what a vfe gives you.

> I know SGI's 100baseT arrangements aren't the best, but why is it
> slower than 10baseT?  How have I screwed up?

You installed a vfe. ;)

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "It's alright for someone to sleep past noon every
Elgin, TX         (   once in a while.  That's what it means to be a