[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Apr 26 09:18:02 CDT 2005

On Apr 26, 2005, at 12:35 AM, Zach Lowry wrote:

> Sandwich Maker wrote:
> | i can second that, having a year's intensive exposure to 10.20 on my
> | resume.  this included a week of hp training.
>
> It's not that I'm concerned about learning a new OS, it's the fact that
> I'll have no real method for support for the OS I'm using on my primary
> desktop workstation. For Debian, I have newsgroups, IRC, etc. And, I
> have a free way to download security fixes. Not exactly the case with a
> "hobby" copy of HP-UX. :(

Patches are free. ITRC is free.  There's even a script that will
analyze your install and tell you what patches you don't have.  I
certainly had no problems using all free resources to support me when I
was first learning how to use and support the OS.  Later I also used an
online resource for building an HP-UX Bastion host so there's plenty of
stuff out there.  It's certainly not unsupportable like IRIX can be in
the hobby sense.  A lot of commercial products and upgrades ("full
package kind of stuff") are also free.  You can get pre-packaged and
configured Apache with Webmin, Commercial SSH, etc... all free.

Andrew