Fe: [rescue] Power and Imac

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Tue Apr 26 07:09:22 CDT 2005

"Atom" wrote:

> I just saved 2 macs from being tossed. One is a g3-600mhz iMac and
> the other one is a g4 powermac.
>
> The G3-600 seems to have an issue with the CRT. When I power it up
> the screen slowly fades out until it's black and gone. The rest seems
> to work just fine.
>
> The G4-400 Gigabit? desktop somehow starts to smell really bad after
> plugging in the power. It wont power up and will smell like burnt
> circuity. I "blame" the smell coming from the powersupply so anybody
> know where to get a "cheap" powersupply for those. Or if I can
> convert an ATX PSU besides the fact that ATX would not have +28v?
>
> -- Thomas

Perhaps you could use what you find at:

   http://www.whoopis.com/computer_repair/

I just found this resource of Apple User and Service Manuals a few days ago,
after I saved an IMac DV (slot-in drive) which seems to have a bad PSU as
well. It just sits there and emits a barely audible high-pitched noise, but
won't turn on.

The service manual is mostly a boardswapper guide, but at least it tells you
how to rip that awful (er - I meant awesome, of course!) case apart. There's
even a picture on where you can measure the 5v Trickle / Standby voltage.

Have fun.

--
Arno Kletzander
Stud. Hilfskraft Informatik Sammlung Erlangen

+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f|r Mail, Message, More +++

10 GB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS  http://www.gmx.net/de/go/topmail