[rescue] prioblems with CDROM on Ultras

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 25 22:42:54 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paxton Hoag" <innfosun at gmail.com>
To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 5:05 PM
Subject: [rescue] prioblems with CDROM on Ultras

>A week ago I got two Ultras, a 1 for $5 and a 2 for $50.
>
> In trying to get them running I found the CD in the Ultra 1 is broke,
> won't go in or out, just grinds. Is it fixable?
>
> The one in the Ultra 2 just goes out and in but won't stay in. I am trying
> to load Soaris 8 from CD and I can't get the CD to stay in. It slides out
> when you turn it on. When you push the button it goes in for a few seconds
> and then pops out.

Geeze - you wanna fix old SCSI CD-ROM drives? Replace them - it can't be
that expensive... I have an old PlexWriter that is External, and it just
works - 40x SCSI CD-ROM drives can be had for about $20 local computer flea
markets - you only need one drive, as one machine can install from the
other's CD-ROM drive...