[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Mon Apr 25 22:35:19 CDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:11:01PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Mon, 25 Apr 2005 @ 07:24 +0100, Mike Meredith said:

> > Perhaps I should have said it's tough trying to figure out what their
> > clock speed is from the SPEC results list. I wasn't going to hunt down
> > the real clock speed ... I'm lazy :)
>
> Ah, gotcha.
>
> It seems that the AMD64s and Opterons do pretty well.

I have a dual-Opteron set up for a client.  It compiled all of TCL
(without TK) in about 9 seconds.  It compiled all of Postgres in 1
minute 18 seconds.  Very fast.

> What I'm interested in though is how fast the 4-way and 8-way AMD
> systems can run.

Given the above, I would say, very fast.

> Evil thought: Now is about the time for someone like Sun to decide that
> PC BIOS is cool, and start building their machines to require video to
> use the BIOS...

The v20z (and I assume the v40z)has a PC BIOS.

However, it has the SP (service processor) as well which mitigates
that fact. As long as there is power to the machine you can SSH into
the SP and control poweron/poweroff and see the console and interact
with it.  Basically it is like the LOM mgmt or RSC on other Suns.

--Patrick