[rescue] prioblems with CDROM on Ultras

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Mon Apr 25 20:30:41 CDT 2005

On Apr 25, 2005, at 9:02 PM, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Paxton Hoag wrote:
>
>> The one in the Ultra 2 just goes out and in but won't stay in. I am
>> trying to load Soaris 8 from CD and I can't get the CD to stay in. It
>> slides out when you turn it on. When you push the button it goes in
>> for a few seconds and then pops out.
>
> Good and cheap replacement drives are around. Those found in the U1 and
> early U2 machines are almost always 4x. Faster Toshiba and Plextor
> drives
> will fit the bill nicely. Be warned however that some of the Plextor
> models
> will take a bit of shoe-horning to get the cables connected to the
> rear of
> them when installed in the Ultra 1. I have a 32X Plex in one of my U1s.

Yes - like removing the fan assembly before installing the drive and
putting it back in afterwards.

> Not sure if you will need to set the block jumper on the Plextors when
> installed in the Ultras or not although it won't hurt to.

I think Plextors just DTRT but honestly I've almost never had to set
that jumper on anything before.

Mike
----
"Without balance and constant growth the only option is to degrade.
There is no other solution." - Anonymous