[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Mon Apr 25 16:47:26 CDT 2005

On Apr 24, 2005, at 19:33, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 05:59:49PM -0400, Aaron Finley wrote:
>> Imac G5 17" - slowest piece of crap I have ever used. The interface is
>> completely unresponsive. I would rather use a 486 then this. click
>> WAIT click WAIT. I have to use one of a daily basis at college.
>
> Then the machine must be misconfigured.  If you can, check the
> power-saving setup, and change it from automatic to whatever the
> equivalent of "off" or "no power-saving" is.  Some G5's have
> auto-throttling of the CPU to conserve energy, but it is too
> conservative and can affect performance.

True. Some benchmarks here:
http://www.macintouch.com/perfpack/tables.html
I was surprised with how dramatic the effect can be on some machines.
Applies to machines besides just G5s. For instance, now that I've
turned the processor speed to the fullest when my PB is connected to AC
power, it gets much, much hotter :).

Though, in the particular cast of the parent, RAM is almost certainly
your problem. Get 512MB at least - I'd recommend more if the owner of
the machine can afford it.

  - Micah