[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Sun Apr 24 23:46:09 CDT 2005

Aaron Finley writes ...

> As a sidenote, it is a pity -- the astrology department (PSU) is
> trashing all their SGI Octanes, fully configured MXEs, for Dell Linux
> machines, but they will not give them to students because of
> university policy.

What is their disposal policy?

Some places have pretty enlightened "surplus" disposal methods.  Ohio State
University has an actual store.  When they have only a few systems, they are
#10, or maybe $20 if the box is big.  If they have a lot of 'em, $5.  I
bought a stack of working, albeit diskless, SPARCclassics for $5 each.

Now I live near Seattle, and the University of Washington only sells stuff
by the pallet-load, and they are pretty cagey about telling you how to find
out what's on offer and how to bid on it....

-Shel