[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sun Apr 24 02:34:10 CDT 2005

On Saturday 23 April 2005 11:51, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > if you wanted to do Linux on an IBM box you probably should make
> > sure you're getting a PPC instead of a POWER box...
>
> POWER3 (and to some degree POWER2-SC) and later are perfect supersets
> of PowerPC, and, therefore, will run Linux quite happily.  In fact,
> the POWER4 and POWER3-II systems at work all changed their banners to
> "PowerPC" with the last round of firmware updates I did because IBM
> wants to hammer that point home.

That's because the later POWER3 'systems' use PowerPC processors.. If
you open up a POWER3 box (or look at /proc/cpuinfo of a booted Linux
kernel), you'll notice that the processor is a PowerPC 630. :)

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org