[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Apr 24 00:11:30 CDT 2005

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Zach Lowry wrote:

> Obviously you've never seen a Power Macibtosh 8xx or 8xxx. It is an
> awful mess. It would take a thesis defense to convince me that this
> IBM's case was any worse.

I've worked on both.  The 43P-1xx case. sucks worse.  You have to
-remove the processor- to get to some of the drive bays.

> | The only reason it isn't on my desk is because I can't get two decent
> | graphics heads on it due to the craptacular case design.  A pair of
> | GXT800s would -rock-.
>
> So, are saying that a fairly low-end 44P or 43P's graphics will make me
> miss my 5 year old Radeon? Even though I basically only do 2D?

A GXT800P isn't a low-end card.  It was a high-end card about 5 years
back.  Low-end is a GXT1xx.  Any GXT1xx card will make you pine for a
circa-1997 S3 Virge card. :)

A GXT800 is plenty fast at 2D, fast enough that it feels like it's meant
to be a desktop.  It's in the same ballpark as low-end Octane graphics,
in terms of 2D performance, and so-so 3D performance (like XZ in an Indy
or so).

IBM's current high-end cards are just phenomenal.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "It's alright for someone to sleep past noon every
Elgin, TX         (   once in a while.  That's what it means to be a