[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Apr 23 11:24:17 CDT 2005

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:19:48 -0500 (CDT)
"Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> My problem is that I can't seem to find a workstation that will
> happily do 1600x1200 on two screens with decent display performance.
An Octane with dual SSI / ESSI should do the trick.

IIRC the VPro V6 can't do 1200x1600, you will need at least V8 and dual
V8 can be expensive. But I have seen a dual head option for VPro GFX on
ePay. It adds two DVI outputs to a VPro GFX so that a single VPro GFX
can drive two independent displays.

Why not a deskside Onyx2? Doesn't IR come with at least two channels?
;-)

Back to the original question: A HP9000 B3600 or the like should be OK
too. Its 550 MHz PA-RISC CPU is comparable in INT speed to a 1 GHz P III
and to a 2 GHz P IV in FP performance. It has 4 or 5 independent 64 bit
33/66/100 MHz PCI host bridges for lots of IO bandwith and the raw
memory bandwith is somthing like 2 GB/s. I saw such systems on ebay.de
for a few 100,- EUR. Problem is the OS. HP-sUX or Linsux. IIRC PA-RISC
Linux can use Matrox PCI cards...
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen