[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 23 11:42:38 CDT 2005

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Zach Lowry wrote:

> I figure if I got an IBM I would put Linux on it and not fool with
> AIX.

That'd be really unfortunate.  Despite all the bad press that AIX gets
from the "hardcore" Unix types, it's a really slick operating
system--downright amazing in terms of system management.  You can run
Linux on anything, but you can only run AIX on an RS/6000 (or a Bull).
There just doesn't seem to be a lot of point in buying a high-dollar
RISC computer to run software that'll run just as well on a cheap PC.

> Indeed. I just saw on eBay form 44P-170 400MHz machines, no RAM or
> Drives, going for $200. That's pretty tempting.

RAM for those machines can get pricey.  Also, I don't know about the
-170, but the -260 (which is resembles) requires trays for the disks.
The other 7043-1xx systems don't, but I've never seen the insides of a
7044, so I have no idea.  Although, I suppose I could check the service
manual to find out.

Still, even at $400 for that machine plus decent (1GB memory), it's a
good deal.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "It's alright for someone to sleep past noon every
Elgin, TX         (   once in a while.  That's what it means to be a