[rescue] The time has come, the walrus said

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Sat Apr 23 10:52:36 CDT 2005

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Brian Howe wrote:
>
>> I like OpenBSD. I've run it on an SS20 almost exactly like you described.
>

> Same here.  I'm running OpenBSD 3.6 on such a machine, and it's -fast-.
>
> Two caveats: The second CPU is not supported on OpenBSD.  Also, I've
> been getting mine to panic an awful lot (2 - 3 times daily); this could
> be a leak in the pppoe code, but I'm not sure, so I really can't
> recommend OpenBSD 3.6 on sparc until I figure out WTF.

I run NetBSD on a 2x50MHz SS20 as a www server and mail server. Works
fine; a little slow on IMAP transactions sometimes, though. The only
thing that stops it from working is lack of power. ;-)

I have OpenBSD running on a SS10 here and a SS4 at work bridging between
the two locations and firewalling for both locations. They both work
flawlessly enough that I don't have to look at them.

And, relating to another thread I think, I also have OpenBSD on a SS2
running Snort on my network at work, monitoring traffic in and out of
our network to three separate T1 connections. Also works very nicely.

I thought OpenBSD had SMP support for SPARC in the newer versions but
looking at the OpenBSD site, I can find no suggestion that that is
indeed true. I thought I remember hearing that from a friend at work who
uses OpenBSD a lot. Maybe it is in the current tree but not in a release
yet... I did find that having a second (unused) CPU in the box may be a
problem as well.

Steve