[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Sat Apr 23 09:09:08 CDT 2005

> Anyhow, the real question is to ask what you guys run as
> primary workstations, besides PCs and Macs. I know that a lot
> of folks on here run Macs, as do I. :) I just want to discuss
> what systems would make really great desktop machines for
> fairly cheap, that can compete with my 1GHz PC.

I don't have any SGI/IBM/TLA's, but I do own a bunch of Sun. I have a
passionate love affair with a dual U60 with 21 inch Sun/Sony tube.

Perhaps there are aruguments for one over the other, but U60's are....
1) Highly available, parts too.
2) Well supported and known
3) Cheap
4) Built with plastic that doesn't get brittle (SGI)
5) PCI bus
6) Multi-OS support (well documented too)
7) Speedy
8) Flexible, having hundreds of cool options, cards and stuff
9) Able to run Solaris 10, which is very nice

On the other hand, they....
1) Aren't as geekly as SGI
2) May not have as much graphics software as SGI
3) Are built by Sun which is now collaberating with the Devil
4) Look rather PC'ish
5) Require the rear case fan to be running as it cools the CPU's (I
often disable case fans because of noise)