[rescue] speaking of RS/6000s

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Apr 20 21:54:50 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 20:52, Steve Sandau wrote:
> I now have another RS/6K 7011/250 and an in the market for an OS. I
> can't seem to find any OSs that definitely work on this. I have
> looked for OpenBSD, NetBSD and Linux. I'd load an appropriate version
> of AIX if I had it.

Since it's microchannle, AIX is the only thing that'll run on it.  IBM
hasn't given out enough details on their MCA RS/6000s to port OS's to
them (and/or not enough people care or have enough time to do so).

You can run AIX through 5.1, but 4.3 is probably better if you don't
have a lot of memory.  Ebay usually has decent prices on media (<$50).

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org