[rescue] Sun's new policy sucks...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 11 21:30:24 CDT 2005

Thu, 07 Apr 2005 @ 11:30 -0400, Joshua Boyd said:

> What's so evil about sticking wget or curl on your servers?  I prefer to
> grab stuff by wget anyway, and on my web/mail server I prefer to grab
> files via http over ftp (something about my firewall rules keeps ftp
> from working).

I don't know if Sun does it or not, but a lot of URLs are actually
redirections and other crap like that.

So many places no longer offer direct URLs to files any more.

You either have to be counted to feed their statistics fetish, or go
through some !@$@#$ form to get the files.

The idiots in the world can't seem to understand the incredible benefit
of scheduling downloads with a set of URLs to occur at night, and other
things like that which used to be common, and which are now becoming
nearly impossible.

(grumbles, rubs beard)

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [governorrhea: a contagious disease that
spreads from the governor of a state downward through other offices and his